There are some things I just can’t make and don’t want to improve upon. This is one of those things.
I’m 31 and for some reason (probably hormones) my childhood acne has come back with vengeance. I have enlarged pores, blackheads, white heads, Pustules and (very large) Cysts. All of this has of course resulted in the scarring of my beautiful face. I have personally tried about every skin care product on the market since I was 14 years old. From the prescriptions, to the dollar store finds, to the latest and greatest green a white “acne solution” sold on TV. But nothing has worked…until now.
Desert Essence, Throughly Clean Face Wash
My favorite store, iHerb.com, has a wonderful acne section with hunderds of reviews for just about every product they sell. Due to my sketchy history with acne products, I have come to rely on reviews from others and the more positive reviews, the better. Taking it on faith, I decided to give Throughly Clean by Desert Essence a try and I’m glad I did.
Although not 100% (because nothing ever is), this face wash really works for me! It has helped to close my pores, reduce my breakouts, clean (and I mean really clean) my skin of all dirt and make up and, generally, improve the over all appearance of my skin. The texture of my skin is radiant and smooth. I know my skin is free and clear when there is no visible dirt on my toner ladened cotton balls. Now that’s clean. Imagine, a face wash that actually does it job so well that it almost renders toners useless.
Yes, Throughly Clean is truly awesome but, such as the way of the world, nothing is perfect.
- The solution isn’t a thick gel, like some might be accustom to, it’s more like liquid; almost like an oil in consistency. I recommend purchasing a foaming soap dispenser to put the face wash in. You will love the soft, frothy texture of the foam – trust me!
- It’s can be drying, but with any face wash you’ll want to use a moisturizer after wards. You really should be using a moisturizer anyway. If your face is dry it will over produce sebum and that could be the source of your next break.
- It has a smell. Not a bad smell but an all natural smell due to the tea tree oil and other all natural goodies, but some still may not like it.
- It can break certain people out (so I’ve been told). It hasn’t broke me out, but like anything that works really well, it will suck out (not in) the harmful pore clogging dirt and toxins. This will probably create a pimple for some — at least this is my theory.
But if all of the cons bug you, you can tweak out this face wash in true Skincare Cookbook fashion!
- If a breakout should occur: The solution is to moisturize with Jojoba Oil. Jojoba Oil has the same consistency as the sebum that your skin produces. The idea is to trick the skin into thinking “I produced oil for this section already”; in hopes that sebum will not be over produced.
- If you have dry skin: Using Throughly Clean as a base, add 1 Teaspoon of Jojoba Oil.
- If you have oily skin: Add a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil to the wash. After you have cleaned your face and splashed it with cold water (to close the pores), moisturize with a drop or two of Grapeseed Oil. Grapeseed Oil is a mild, non-oily hydrating oil. You’ll love the results and your face will thank you!
- If you have sensitive skin: Using Throughly Clean as a base, add 1 Teaspoon of Grapeseed Oil. The Grapeseed Oil will protect your face during the wash.
You can purchase Desert Essence, Throughly Clean Face Wash on their site for $9.29 – OR- you can purchase it on iHerb.com for $5.58, read the other reviews, oh and save $5.00 on your first order by using code ANE923 and get it for close to nothing! It’s your choice.